"So, I'd give this world
Just to dream a dream with you
On our bed of California stars"
-lyrics by Woodie Guthrie and performed by Billy Bragg

9.05.2010

By My Side

I don’t want to ignore that I left a teaser in my last post. But the thing is, the “very important post” turned into an important realization for me, but probably not very interesting material to anyone else. So I promise, promise I’ll address it later. For now, I have an anniversary post to write.

Tomorrow Chris and I celebrate seven years of marriage. I think it took us this long to get really good at this marriage thing, but I definitely have treasured the process. The seventh year of our union was definitely the most stressed….it began one year ago with me in Alabama starting my last clinical rotation, and Chris in California working. We were apart three more months and it was so difficult, but living without each other did make us appreciate each other more. Then in December I took a leap of faith and followed my husband across the country to a town of 3500 people that not many people have ever heard of. I shouldn’t have doubted him at all; this place is our paradise.

I look back at our wedding day and I know I was a naïve young girl in love. As much as I didn’t want to admit it then, I did have a lot of romanticized ideas about what marriage was supposed to be. What I didn’t realize then was that it would be the hard times, the ones that weren’t all roses and rainbows, that would end up making our relationship so precious.

Chris, you truly are the man I am meant to love. I could not imagine a better partner. Thank you for choosing me for this journey; I will follow you anywhere, anytime.

“Don’t you get ahead of me;
And I won’t leave you behind”
-Ben Harper, By My Side

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on 7, Katy and Chris!! I'm proud of y'all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, you need to update your profile as it says Chris is your husband of 6 years!

    ReplyDelete