"So, I'd give this world
Just to dream a dream with you
On our bed of California stars"
-lyrics by Woodie Guthrie and performed by Billy Bragg

1.30.2010

Kindness of Strangers (and neighbors)

Since moving to California, Chris and I have been blessed with many small kindnesses from strangers. I say ‘small’ because it may have seemed insignificant to the bestower, but to us has made a world of difference. In a town of 3,500 people it is probably easy to spot the newcomers, and though we are used to a big city, a small community can seem large when you know only a handful of people. It is amazing how welcome we have felt in such a small amount of time. From one of Chris’ co-workers bringing us a Christmas tree when otherwise we would have had none, to a woman I have never met two houses down baking us a casserole. And her timing couldn’t have been more perfect-it showed up after one of our first P90X workouts. (I’ll save how much I detest that Tony guy for another post.)

So I’ve spent the good part of the afternoon baking cookies for the sweet casserole lady, and since I started this blog on a food note, I decided to include my recipe. These cookies are oh so divine, and I got the recipe from my oldest brother, Eric. Ever since he baked us a batch on one our visits to the Blue Ridge Mountains, we have requested them ever time. This is usually after a couple of post-meal beverages, which is probably why he always obliges. I’m not sure where he got it, so forgive me if I don’t give credit to the sent from heaven god or goddess that developed it.

Peanut Butter Cookies (with Hershey kisses on top)

½ cup butter (1 stick)
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup peanut butter
1 egg
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ¼ cup flour
¼ teas. Salt

Mix sugar, butter, and PB in bowl. Add egg. Stir in other ingredients. Form dough into small balls and put on cookie sheet. Press down balls with back of fork (use a little flour and the dough won’t stick to the fork).

Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. Immediately put a Hershey kiss in the center of each cookie.

Try to eat just one. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment